Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dance to the Music

While my Dad was coming off sedation in the ICU, I put together several playlists of his favorite tunes to play for him during the day in hopes that providing familiar stimuli would help him begin to wake up more.  In a previous post, I talked about how we were able to see his responses to the music on the Video EEG (while the music was playing, his brain waves became more active, even though he was on lots of sedation that suppresses your brain activity). His nurses always commented on how they loved coming into his room because the upbeat music made their day go by so much faster (his playlist consisted primarily of music from the 60's.  Some of his favorite groups include the Association, the Doors, the Rascals, Sly & the Family Stone.  The playlist also included 2 other of his random favorites: "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffet and "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train).  One day, two residents came by to attempt to put another Dobhoff feeding tube in.  Dad's tube had come out, and several nurses had been unable to get another one in, so GI had been sent to try to get the tube.  Otherwise, they were going to have to put in a PEG (a g-tube that comes directly out of the stomach, instead of down through the nose), as he had gone several days without nutrition due to the tube problem.  My mom and I were asked to leave the room during the procedure.  We asked them if it was okay if we kept the music on, as Dad was starting to wake up a bit, and we knew the procedure was uncomfortable for him.  As we left, we quickly noticed that the music also seemed to be helping the residents.  Both doctors appeared more relaxed as they worked on getting the tube in, their toes tapping to the beat and their bodies swaying easily to the music while they worked.  The tube was placed successfully, and I have to believe that part of the success was due to the music helping everyone be a little more at ease.

As a music therapist, I often thought that the organizing CDs and providing recorded music part of my job was a waste of my time and talents, perhaps better suited for a volunteer.  As a nurse and as a family member, I now see how valuable this part of a music therapist's job can be for everyone.  Ambient music helps everyone feel more at ease.  Unfortunately, there are often not enough resources for this service.  The "fish channel" that plays soothing music at my work has been broken for the last few months, and I have to say, I really miss it.  When I am trying to create the right environment for restful sleep, often times I feel that the soothing music is missing.  Our music therapist is great and can make playlists for children with all different types of music, but that is not the main part of her job, nor do we have enough equipment for every single child to have an ipod available to them, not to mention having speakers to play them.  Ideally, I wish that our TV had various music channels available, similiar to those you get through cable.  Maybe at our new hospital.......

No comments:

Post a Comment